----------------------------------------------- I'm a Mormon. ----------------------------------------------- Mad. Branch: CERT Dec. 11, 2010

Saturday, December 11, 2010

CERT Dec. 11, 2010

A group of CERT trainees met at the church today to complete their training with a final exam. CERT stands for Community Emergency Response Team. It is designed to provide assistance to first responders, provide immediate assistance to victims and organize spontaneous volunteers at disaster sites. Included in their training were six classes of about three hours each plus the final training exercise pictured below.

This exercise was designed to provide a situation where the training could be practiced.

I, along with five others, was "fortunate" enough to be volunteered to be a victim for them. Our injuries ranged from a woman who lost her baby to a man in a state of diabetic shock. We also had those with lacerations and broken bones.






One of the cuts, pre disaster.

Here a team leader is chosen and teams assigned. Also instructions are given.

Victim

Victim

Victim

Victim

Victim. I'll let you try and figure out who this volunteer is. He did a great acting job.

One of the teams enters the building.

Most of this was done in the dark.

A triage area was established with designated areas for "immediate" and "delayed" victims.

Assisting one of the outside victims.

Sisters Ross have to deal with an unresponsive victim.

Initial treatment.

After everyone was extracted from the building the exam was discussed and evaluated. Sister Tish Ross looks happy with here grade.

Sister Amanda Ross in her CERT gear.

Brother Holmes and Murders listen.



A final group photo of the entire class.

So now my thoughts. First, this group did an outstanding job. My thanks goes out to them, and anyone, for taking their time to be trained to help others in a time of need. I learned some things, even as a victim. I tried to act as if I really were in need of help. I learned that a disaster can be a bit scary. People yelling. Confusion on my part about exactly what is going on. Not knowing when I will be found and treated.

Make sure you ask the members of the Branch who participated their thoughts on the exam. I am sure you will find it interesting. Also, thanks to Jake for the camera work.

No comments:

Post a Comment