----------------------------------------------- I'm a Mormon. ----------------------------------------------- Mad. Branch: West End Cemetery Clean Up... 3/26/2011

Saturday, March 26, 2011

West End Cemetery Clean Up... 3/26/2011

Today we helped in the West End Cemetery cleanup. Before I comment at all I want to say that I am not even going to try to name everyone in the photos below. There were that many people that showed up to help.

We began at 8am. It had to be the perfect day to do this job. Breezy and not too hot. There were members of other faiths there as well. The jobs included righting headstones, cutting low hanging limbs, weed eating, mowing, raking leaves, and cleaning up. We worked on about half of the cemetery.

After about three hours we had everything done. The cemetery association fed the workers BBQ.

I have to admit that while I was weed eating I couldn't help but look at the names and dates on the headstones. What was life like back in 1880? I bet they rode horses or walked every where. Was this person a farmer, or did he work in the drug store down town? I bet it was hot in the summer. How could anyone sleep when it is so hot; and without screens the bugs would eat you alive if you opened the windows. Was this person a saint, or scoundrel? More than likely just a person trying to raise a family and make a living.

I just want to express the feeling of joy and happiness that I felt while doing this project. I certainly got the feeling that I wasn't the only one that felt this way.

















No comments:

Post a Comment